Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Fox In My Back Yard


A few weeks ago, we heard a noise at our front door. When we looked out the window, we saw a baby fox running off with a dead bird. A few nights later, I saw a bird laying on our steps with two puncture wounds. We quickly decided that the mother was training her pups on the art of hunting. We watched for over an hour and saw a much smaller baby fox approach. She was quite skittish. I call her ‘she’ because of her size. She was quite a bit smaller than the first fox that we had seen. Unfortunately, the photos taken were not very clear because of the triple pane glass and low light. However, upon waking the next morning, I made the unfortunate discovery of a dead fox in our yard. This was undoubtedly the baby girl fox from last night. I am posting a photo here of the poor thing.
Image
Later that day, I decided to get some Vitamin D and laid my blanket out in the sun. I did bring my camera because you never know what wonderful things you will discover. After just a few minutes, I heard a very soft rustling and looked into the back yard to discover a baby red fox looking toward me.
Image
I zoomed in on the cute little face and took a close up.
Image
As I sat watching him, I saw his ear twitch like a radar homing in on a sound.
Image
His attention was diverted by a bluejay that landed in the grass.
Image
Image
I’m sure one day he will be a great hunter, but not this day. The bluejay sensed danger and flew away, allowing the fox and I to continue gazing at each other with curiosity.
Image

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment