Saturday, September 8, 2012

The First Time I Left Home




Have you ever felt that taking a vacation is like running away?
It’s been years since I’ve taken a real vacation. The chance to get away and relax. Do nothing. Just a couple of weeks ago, I was given the opportunity to do just that. I didn’t plan it. It just sort of happened. Things lined up just right and before I knew it, my husband turned to me and said, “Why don’t you go see your Mom?”
“I can’t just leave like that,” I said with a searching look.
“Why not?” he contradicted.
“I can’t just leave you here alone.”
“This week is going to be a long week. I’m going to be working most of the time anyway,” he chuckles. “Just do It. Call your Mom and ask her if it’s okay that you come.”
“What about my writing?”
“You’ve got a laptop. You can write from there. It would be a good break.”
“Are you sure?” I asked.
He picked up my cell phone and handed it to me. I dialed her number and popped the question.
“When?” she asked.
“Tomorrow or the next day,” I replied.
I could hear the surprise in her voice as we talked about it. She agreed, of course.
And as I hung up the phone, my husband hugged me. He gave me a kiss and said, “Get packed.”
I smiled and with excitement complied.
The next morning, I kissed my husband as he left for work. I got the last of the things I needed to do finished in a surprisingly short time, placed the bags in the car and turned onto the highway. As I drove I began to recall childhood memories and by the time I arrived at my Mom’s house, I had a complete story. Over the course of the next few days, I wrote what I had envisioned on my drive.
You know, there’s nothing like the feeling of running away…even for just a little while. Click here to find out what happened The First Time I Left Home.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment